Annual Fellowship Program
ALLA Annual Fellowship Programme
The ALLA Annual Fellowship Programme was introduced in 2011. It provides ALLA members with an opportunity to attend an international law library conference of their choice. ALLA provides financial assistance to help pay for airfares, accommodation and registration. Candidates apply for the Fellowships in a competitive process, and an ALLA selection panel makes the decisions on who receives the scholarships. The international conferences include:
• AALL (American Association of Law Libraries)
• BIALL (British & Irish Association of Law Librarians)
• CALL/ACBD (Canadian Association of Law Libraries)
• IALL (International Association of Law Libraries)
• IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations & Institutions)
• NZLLA (New Zealand Law Librarians’ Association)
From 2019, the Australian Law Librarian funds an additional Annual Fellowship to attend the IALL Conference. From 2020 this Fellowship has been renamed the Petal Kinder Memorial IALL Scholarship.
In recent years, Fellowships have also been awarded to attend the ALLA Conference.
See below for a list of Fellowship recipients.
Prior to this Fellowship, the BIALL Annual Study Scholarship was awarded from 1992–2010. This was a reciprocal exchange programme between ALLG (now ALLA) and BIALL (the British and Irish Association of Law Librarians) which provided an opportunity for a member of each association to attend each other’s conferences. To see the background and history of the current Fellowship and the BIALL Annual Study Scholarship, and a list of recipients from 1992 up until 2019, see 'ALLA Award and Scholarship Recipients: From Inception Until 2019' (2019) 27(4) Australian Law Librarian 261-265.
2020 Conference Fellowships
Due to the cancellation of most law library conferences due to COVID-19 restrictions, no fellowships will be awarded in 2020.
2021 Conference Information will be added to this page as it comes to hand.
In 2021 ALLA Ltd will offer three $2000 fellowships to help members attend overseas international conferences.
The Petal Kinder Memorial IALL fellowship will also be available. The value of this fellowship is $2000.
In addition, ALLA Ltd will offer a further five $1000 fellowships to attend the ALLA Conference which will be held in Canberra in 2021.
Please note that it is not intended that the Association cover the whole cost of attending the conference.
How to Apply
Decide which conference you would like to go to, complete the 2021 ALLA Fellowship Application Form (link will be provided in 2021) and send it to email@example.com prior to the relevant closing date.
Requirements for Successful Applicants
- Successful recipients must make and pay for their own travel and accommodation arrangements before seeking reimbursement from the fellowship fund.
- Successful recipients must attend the specific conference within the calendar year of receiving the award. If the award is not taken up within the timeframe, the funding and registration will be void.
- Successful recipients will reimburse ALLA of the funding in full, should they not fulfil the obligations of the fellowship program.
- Fellowship recipients are responsible for arranging all travel (including visas and passports), accommodation, insurance, and where required, registration.
- Successful applicants are required to submit an article to the Australian Law Librarian Journal within 12 weeks of returning from the conference.
Criteria for Applications
In order for the Committee to make a decision, applicants are expected to submit a detailed application explaining their particular interest in attending the conference of their choice. In awarding a fellowship the Committee may base its decision on a number of factors including:
- The quality of the application, including reference to the conference programme and specific sessions of interest.
- The ability of the applicant to be a good ambassador of ALLA and Australian law librarians through their intent to participate and engage in the international conference.
- Whether, or not, an applicant has received an ALLA scholarship or fellowship in recent years. Preference may be given to those who have not benefited from a bursary in the past.
Applications will be considered by the Fellowship Committee.
The Fellowship Committee will consist of four people: National Vice President (Committee Chair), one board member, and two general members sought through the Divisional Presidents.
Of the four committee members, the National Vice President will only vote in the in the event of a tie.
ALLA Fellowship Recipients
2019 - With the IALL Conference being held in Sydney in 2019, a record nine annual fellowships were awarded in 2019. They were awarded to:
- Jane Griskaitis, Research Librarian, Law Society of New South Wales (NSW) –
- NZLLA Conference
- Vanessa Blackmore, Manager, NSW Law Courts Library Services (NSW) – BIALL
- Larissa Reid, Reader Services Manager, NSW Law Courts Library (NSW) – AALL
- Andrew Pemberton, Library and Information Services Manager, College of Law
- (NSW) – CALL/ACBD Conference
- Michelle Holdstock, Law Librarian, Western Sydney University (NSW) – IALL
- Annual Course
- Amy Leong, Faculty Librarian, John & Alison Kearney Law Library, Bond University
- (QLD) – IALL Annual Course
- David McDowell, Librarian, Jackson McDonald (WA) – IALL Annual Course
- Cate Read, Court Researcher, Supreme Court of Victoria (VIC) – IALL Annual
- Frieda Evans, Library Manager, Northern Territory Courts Library (NT) – IALL
- Annual Course
- Phil Mullen, K&L Gates (NSW) – ALLA Conference
- Monika Zygmuntowicz, Herbert Smith Freehills (VIC) – ALLA Conference
- Lucy Brown, DW Fox Tucker (SA) – BIALL Conference
- Louise Langridge, Piper Alderman (SA) – NZLAA Conference
- Margaret Hutchison, High Court of Australia (ACT) – CALL/ACBD Conference
2016 - Holger Aman, NSW Law Courts Library (NSW) – IALL Conference in Oxford
2015 - Eleni Christofi, Arnold Bloch Leibler (VIC) – IALL Conference in Berlin
2014 - Jolie Cook, Fisher Jeffries Gadens (SA) – AALL Conference
2013 - Justine Hyde, Interim Director, Law Library of Victoria (VIC) – AALL Conference
2012 - Amanda Surrey, Manager, Group Legal, BHP Billiton (VIC) – AALL Conference
2011 - Debbie Bennett, Manager, NSW Law Courts Library (NSW) – IALL Conference in